|Date Posted||July 13, 2018|
Architect / Technical Lead
|Career Level||Experienced (Manager)|
|Minimum Experience||5+ Years|
Do you want to lead a team building a new SaaS product in the FinTech space using latest technologies?
Our client is seeking a hands-on Software Development Manager to lead a team developing a SaaS product running in the AWS cloud with an Angular frontend and Java backend services.
You will head up the product development team, working with a dedicated product manager and QA, infrastructure and SRE teams in an Agile environment. You will hold line management responsibility for the team and will foster their career growth.
- Lead the team to fulfil commitments to producing high quality, high performance, robust software within agreed time estimates and to agreed quality
- Line management responsibility for the software engineering staff. Provide career development planning, support and coaching. Hire and on-board new members
- Manage the day to day work of the team; be the Agile coach for the team, get communications flowing within the team and with other teams. Track and communicate progress and work to eliminate blocks
- Provide technical leadership to the team and encourage innovation in end-to-end development practices and technology choices
- Work with the operational teams and ensure that the sense of urgency within the team is appropriate
- Collaboratively identify and implement continuous improvement changes to processes, practices and tooling
- Lead estimation exercises that feed into project plans
- Develop software across all layers of the development stack and the AWS infrastructure
- Regularly update job knowledge by researching new technologies and software products, participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, participating in professional organizations etc.
Key Qualities and Experience Sought
- 6+ years professional experience with 1+ in a line management position for 3 or more engineers, including staffing responsibility for interviewing, hiring, reviews, and career development
- Ability to estimate and plan team resources
- Ability to drive day to day activity in the team, recognising times to hold the team to its own rules and standards, to interrupt plans and pivot with urgency, and to escalate externally
- Ability to inspire and motivate, to improve quality and productivity, all the while maintaining technical innovation and excellence
- Strong development experience with Java and a high-level dynamic language e.g. Python, Ruby
- Experience with Agile software development methodologies
- Experience of implementing Web Services – REST and/or SOAP
- Familiarity with one or more RDBMS’s e.g. Oracle, Postgres, MySQL
- Familiarity with layering architectures e.g. MVC
- Familiarity with Build and Continuous integration – Ant, Maven, CI tools (Hudson/Jenkins, TeamCity etc.)
- Unit and Integration testing methodologies for efficient, comprehensive validation
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to show flexibility and reach compromise where appropriate
- Ability to innovate and iterate, willingness to fail fast
- High standard of English and excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Experience developing and deploying solutions on one or more major Cloud platforms e.g. Amazon AWS, Google, Azure
- Experience with DevOps tools such as Docker, Nomad, Terraform
- Familiarity with Linux and system engineering concepts
- Experience developing frontends with Angular & Typescript
- Experience with Clojure
- Primary or Postgraduate degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related discipline preferred
Our offer to you
- A competitive salary reviewed annually
- A personal budget to use for health care, pension and / or take with salary
- Travel-to-work subsidies, including travel pass or parking permit or a bike allowance
- 24 holiday days plus public holidays
- Individual training grant with opportunity to grow and develop
- Additional day annually to support a charity or worthy cause
- A fantastic working environment with spectacular sea views
- Active social committee with great events
- You’re a respected team manager who can come into an existing team and make an impact with your own delivery and through others. You lead by example, in innovative design, clean code, awareness of business concerns and emphasis on operational excellence. You hold the team accountable for what they own, represent them in the larger organisation and protect them from disturbance.
- You ask the right questions up front and take personal responsibility for what you commit to do, owning it to completion. You love to deliver real value to customers and work hard to understand their needs and come up with ideas to meet them. You work closely with product owners to clarify and refine their ideas into something your team can deliver.
- Your code is neat, quick and hits the functional mark every time, with rigorous, automated test code always factored in to estimates. You care as much about architectural design as implementation code and can take on big design questions, do the research needed to make the right choices, get stakeholders around them, and guide your team effort to flawlessly execute.
- You can keep multiple projects and conversations moving forward with different sets of stakeholders and manage your time so that the loop always gets closed. You work smoothly with your team and create opportunities for them to raise their standards, to better designs and code, better and newer tools, and better ways to interact with each other to make our client’s shared workplace both high-performance and fun to be in.
Eoghain Cooper is the point of contact for this role. If you have any questions for him in relation to this opportunity, please don"t hesitate to contact him via:
E-Mail: [email protected]
Phone:+ 353 1 905 2695